BIOCORNEUM is the only advanced scar treatment with FDA-cleared Silishield™ technology plus the protection of SPF 30. Learn why physicians prefer the patented silicone formulation in BIOCORNEUM for scar treatment over other therapies.
BIOCORNEUM’s patented crosslinking silicone, Silishield, has been shown to be effective:
In preventing post-op scarring
- The self-drying silicone gel used in the study was shown to be effective in reducing the hypertrophy rate of fresh surgical scars, and this type of treatment was rated as the first choice for preventing hypertrophy of recent scars.
- Treatment with silicone gel after incision resulted in 67% of scars being rated normal (versus 28% with no treatment), and 26% mildly hypertrophic (versus 46% with no treatment). These results were statistically significant.
In treating existing scars
- Silicone gel was used to treat both newly formed scars (< 3 months) and older scars (at least 4 years), and was shown to be eective at relieving scar symptoms.
- 70% to 85% of patients and physicians reported improvements in scar symptoms after treatment with silicone gel and more than 80% had high satisfaction in ease of use, cosmetic result, and overall satisfaction.
Preferred over other therapies
• BIOCORNEUM is the only topical scar treatment with FDA-cleared Silishield™ patented crosslinking medical grade silicone and SPF to prevent and minimize the formation of new scars, decrease the appearance of old scars, protect scars from sun exposure’s darkening effects, and dry quickly to adhere to skin for 12 to 24 hours. Silishield’s patented technology keeps skin hydrated, minimizing collagen formation that contributes to abnormal scarring.
Usage of Biocorneum relating to scar size:
- 10 grams (2-3 inch scar. Twice daily treatment.)
- 20 grams (4-6 inch scar. Twice daily treatment.)
- 50 grams (7-9 inch scar. Twice daily treatment.)
*for maximum effectiveness, use Biocorneum twice a day for the duration of the treatment.
Biocorneum is safe to use
BIOCORNEUM’s patented self-drying silicone gel, Silishield, caused no side effects such as maceration, rashes, infections, or irritation. 98.7% of physicians and 98.2% of patients rated tolerability of the patented silicone
formulation as “very good” or “good.
Download the PDF here: Download BIOCORNEUM Info
What is Biocorneum?
Biocorneum Advanced Scar Treatment is a silicone gel that you can use at home to significantly minimize the appearance of scars from wounds or burns. Plastic surgeons often advise it to their patients after surgical procedures to reduce the visible scarring from incisions.
Scar therapy is effective for both new and old scars. It can prevent the formation of raised hypertrophic scars and can soften existing scars, helping to flatten them and reduce redness or other discolorations. Biocorneum can improve the overall appearance of scars older than one year, but results may be minimal. You don’t need a doctor’s prescription for Biocorneum, and you can find it online or at the drugstore, but it’s best to buy it directly from your doctor’s office to be sure it’s the real deal.
How does Biocorneum work?
Medical grade silicone is typically used in scar therapy. Silicone products, usually in the form of bandage-like sheets, act as an occlusive to hydrate the skin and control overproduction of collagen that tends to contribute to thick, raised scars. Forming a shielding barrier over an incision can also help hold the skin together for a smoother healing and stop movement that stretches the skin and widens the incision. Biocorneum’s unique gel is easy to apply and adheres to the skin as it dries. The main ingredient is an FDA-approved cross-linked silicone called Silishield. The gel dries clear and completely smooth, remaining flexible and breathable, although you may see a slight gloss over the treated area. The Biocorneum formula also contains SPF 30, which protects your skin from UV light so your scar doesn’t turn dark. For people who suffer from itching along their scars, there is a version that contains 1% hydrocortisone acetate to soothe the itching.
How should you use Biocorneum?
Silicone scar therapies like Biocorneum should only be used on your healed incisions – not open wounds – after the sutures have been removed. Depending on the specifics of your incision and your recovery, your wound should be completely closed within three to six weeks, at which point you can begin using Biocorneum. For best results, apply the silicone gel everyday to clean, dry skin. It should stay on your skin for 12 to 24 hours before it needs to be re-applied. You can apply any lotions or makeup over it, but let it dry completely first. Wait 15 minutes after applying before going out in the sun. It may be helpful to apply additional sunscreen over the Biocorneum.
The minimum recommended duration of treatment for new scars is 60 days. For older scars, it is 90 days. Biocorneum is most efficient when it is in contact with the scar 24 hours a day for the entire length of treatment.